Interesting romantic guitar from the house Ernst Abendroth
Gustav Ernst Abendroth was born on 20 May 1844 in Pirna (Saxony). He received a musical education at an early age and studied music at the Dresden Conservatory. He then worked as an organist and conductor in his home region. Later he was offered the position of an organist at the Cathedral of Constance and therefore moved to Constance in 1868.
In addition to his successful work as an organist, he opened a music shop in Constance and established contacts with outstanding instrument makers in the region of Southern Germany in order to be able to offer his customers good instruments.
In 1888 he went to Harrismith (South Africa) where he held various outstanding activities in leading positions until the end of his life (March 27, 1928).
This guitar was most probably built around 1880. The builder is unfortunately unknown.
The guitar is a lightweight and therefore has an interesting resonance behaviour and sounds very good. The guitar has a very fast response and can become surprisingly loud. At the same time it retains a wide range of beautiful timbres in all registers.
As you can see, time has not passed by without leaving its traces.
It has recently been completely restored to make it ready to play. A few cracks have been repaired and in all this care has been taken to maintain the sound and playability at the highest level. Machine heads were installed, probably the guitar had wooden tuning pegs before.
The guitar has a spruce top and beautiful flamed maple back and sides.